Sir Elton John, Joe Ranft Headline Disney Legends Award
The Walt Disney Co. honored legendary songwriter Sir Elton John, as well as 11 additional inductees, including the late Pixar animation story artist, Joe Ranft, with the prestigious Disney Legends Award during a ceremony at The Walt Disney Co. headquarters this afternoon (Oct. 9, 2006). Presiding over the ceremony was Disney president and ceo Robert A. Iger, and his fellow presenters included Dick Cook, chairman of The Walt Disney Studios; Roy E. Disney, Disney director emeritus; and Marty Sklar, evp and Walt Disney Imagineering Ambassador.
"This annual ceremony, now in its 19th year, gives all of us at Disney a moment to remember the importance of our past achievements and to recognize those who embody this company's constant focus on delivering unparalleled creativity, quality and innovation to our audiences around the world," said Iger. "As we continue the tradition this year, we also mark a special milestone as we welcome our 200th Disney Legend."
The other Disney Legends include leaders in the fields of music, journalism, art, performance, engineering and business:
* ABC news anchor Peter Jennings;
* Actors Tommy Kirk and Kevin Corcoran (OLD YELLER, THE SHAGGY DOG, SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON, MICKEY MOUSE CLUB);
* Actors Tim Considine and David Stollery (THE ADVENTURES OF SPIN AND MARTY);
* Actress Ginny Tyler (MICKEY MOUSE CLUB)
* Voice actor Paul Frees (HAUNTED MANSION, LUDWIG VON DRAKE);
* Disney Imagineer Don Edgren (Disneyland, Pirates of the Caribbean, Space Mountain);
* Animation background artist Al Dempster (FANTASIA, DUMBO, SALUDOS AMIGOS, VICTORY THROUGH AIR POWER, THE THREE CABALLEROS, MAKE MINE MUSIC AND SONG OF THE SOUTH);
* Founder of Walt Disney Records, Jimmy Johnson
The Disney Legends Award was established in 1987 to honor the men and women who have made significant contributions to the Disney legacy. The first recipient of this prestigious distinction was actor Fred MacMurray (THE SHAGGY DOG, THE ABSENT-MINDED PROFESSOR, THE HAPPIEST MILLIONAIRE), and since that time 203 Disney Legends have been named, including this year's recipients. Among the past Disney Legends are Julie Andrews, Steve Martin, Dick Van Dyke, Annette Funicello, Dean Jones, Angela Lansbury, Fess Parker, Kurt Russell, Tim Allen, Hayley Mills, Phil Collins, Art Linkletter, Tim Conway, Sir Tim Rice, Howard Ashman and Alan Menken.